Friday, February 20, 2009

Lucy & Ethel


It's been a crazy few days.  I've been in five different airports in the past two weeks.
Of course Oklahoma City, but also Denver, Tucson, Houston Hobby and Corpus Christi. They are all unique - different sizes, food venues, gift shops and book stores. This means I have read two books in the last two weeks also.  I started the James Patterson series "The Women's Murder Club" last year when I went on several trips.  I think I just have to read the seventh book to get caught up.  They are definitely "vacation" reads!

I traveled to Tucson to visit my friend Risa.  We've kept in touch over the years, but haven't seen each other in over THIRTEEN years.  We became friends while her husband was in pilot training at Vance AFB in Enid.  She was a newlywed and I wasn't dating anyone, so I was adopted to tag along to the Officer's Club on Friday 
nights where there was an abundance of future pilots.  Needless to say I did meet my husband at the O-Club, but not through Risa.  That is another day, another story.  Risa gave me a nickname that has stuck over the years - in fact, her entire family uses that name.  And no, I will not tell you what it is!   

Jeff, Risa's husband, was out of town on an airline trip - he is a pilot for America West.
Jennifer, daughter, is studying abroad in South Africa.  I did get to see her via Skype on the internet.  Jonathan, better known as Jono, brought along his friend, Daschel(?), to meet me.  He attends the University of Arizona, which is in Tucson.  He is pretty funny, but aren't most college students.  And yes, he did use my nickname.
Risa's mom has moved to Tucson; she was so cute showing her apartment to me.  I loved it when Risa's parents would come visit her in Enid.  They treated me like I was one of their long, lost daughters.

Risa is the best tour guide in Tucson.  We 
visited so many places in just a few
days, I can't even tell everywhere we went. She did all the driving, and she did!  Sabino Canyon, a dude ranch, several resorts, the Arizona Inn, and Dottie gave us a tour of Canyon Ranch.  We drove around the University campus, met her co-workers, had dinner with her friends and found a great store that is not in OKC - which it should be - Home Goods!  Thank heavens we can go to one in Dallas.  (Be scared Allison - guess where we are going!) OH!  I loved the cactus!  
I have to say that I cannot wait to visit Risa again!  We picked up where we had left off "yesterday", and it makes me sad that we have been friends for such a long time, but her friends in Tucson know her better than I do.  Not fair!  I'm also sad that our children do not know each other.  I do know that I could move to Tucson and that we would be great friends just like we were twenty-six years ago.  We would have to make sure Bill and Jeff had trips at the same time - then we could be Lucy and Ethel again!  

Love you Risa!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like such fun! It looks like you and Risa even coordinated your outfits!

    I've heard about Home Goods...Isn't it owned by TJ Maxx? I think Lisa has told me about it. We'll definitely need to plan a shopping trip soon!

    ReplyDelete